Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

mikeyb follow this link and you might learn something.

Down near the bottom of the thread Henry has simulation pictures that show what is really happening with a low L first choke power supply. Its not too damn hard to understand. While Jeff may have not been the best at explaining it, Henry has done a fine job of explaining it.

I have a Biomedical Electrical Engineering degree from Purdue University, and the EE in me would never settle for anything other than this low L first choke power supply. With this approach it is easy to reduce the dynamic impedance of the power supply down to around 65 ohms. The conventional choke input power supply that meets critical inductance normally has a dynamic impedance nearing 400 ohms.

Conventional EE thinking says if you want to feed a load, then you want your source impedance to be no more than 1/10 of your load impedance. Which power supply do you, as an EE, think will be a better power source for a 300B amplifier; the 400 ohm, or the 65 ohm one?

Until you have tried one of these power supplies, I don't think you have any grounds to stand on. Jeff's methods are strange, but he did discover something that the old timers had missed. I believe the primary reasons this has gone undiscovered for so long are the following: 1.) No scientific mind would have followed Jeff's methods. 2.) We did not have simulation software like PSUDII in the 1920's. 3.) This is the year 2007, and new discoveries are occuring everyday.

Rgs, JLH

P.S. As a side note, you did know that in the mid 20th century an attempt was made to close the U.S. patent office under the rational that everything that was useful had already been invented and there was no need to keep it open. Mind you, this was before the PC was invented.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.