Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Sprague Atom capacitors - impressions

Stuck a Sprague Atom electrolytic in my Jolida 102 two weeks ago and I don't hate it yet, so I figured I'd try to 'splain what I like about it.

First of all, it's involving as heck, which really surprises me (perhaps I'm biased against electrolytics, but I never felt that way with Black Gates, Panasonics, Nichicons or Elna Silmics). It's not the best cap by a long shot - the mids seem a little rough and the highs a little veiled - but it seems to have just the right pacing and a slightly soft sound, and it seems to have good imaging, space around singers and instruments, and detail. In short, a surprisingly enjoyable cap that I may try in my CDP next.

It's also possible that I've just finally achieved the right balance - between Vitamin Qs for coupling caps, Riken resistors and a power supply that combines Sprague Atom with Black Gate WKZs, it's got a good balance of dynamics and relaxation.

Despite my satisfaction with the system as is, I fully expect at some point that I'll try a V-Cap OIMP in place of the Sprague Atom. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Sprague Atom capacitors - impressions - strictlyamateur 13:46:52 03/14/07 (6)

You can not post to an archived thread.