Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Twisting pairs is the way to go.

Hi.

Make sure the twisted pair is made up of two conductors of IDENTICAL
gauge size, material & construction, one used as signal in & the other as the signal return (or "ground wire"). As long as the twisting is done tightly & UNIFORMLY, it would do an excellent job to fight EMI/RFI as well as hum kill inside the chassis (preferrably metal or properly shielded) used for an audio amp.

The noise picked up in one turn will be cancelled out in the next turn downstream. It can handle up to 1MHz.

No extra overall shielding should be needed. Don't overlook the downside of overall shielding, braid or foil. This will generated conductor-to-shield capacitance, which may affect the high frquency performance of your amp, particularly phonostage. Also the mutual inductance for that matter.

Many like using coaxial cables. But again, the conductor-to-shield capacitance kicks in.

Also the cable inductance issue, a twisted pair of wires gives the self-inductance in the order of 0.08uH/ft as compared to the mutual conductance of a coaxial cable which varies per the diameters of the cable & its conductor inside.

I always use twisted pairs for ALL I/P signal paths, AC heaters supplies, etc. no shield at all. Phonostages no exception.

All the interconnects I DIY built, including those from LP turntable to phonstage I/P jacks, are twisted pairs WITHOUT shielding at all. Considering the lengths of those cables !

c-J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.