Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: I worship the DHT electric

Hi Stephen,

I arrived at the differntial circuit by a different way than people usually do. In my quest to minimize the components in the signal loop I finally had gain stages with 3 elements in the output loop. These were the SE circuit in ultrapath, or parafeed in ultrapath. These basically had the tube, transformer primary and 1 cap in the loop.

I must admit I'm not a big fan of component comparisons. Once I identify a good component I tend to stick with it. I still use the same type 8uF cap which I got years ago. I did attend cap comparison tests but got bored of them. I find much bigger differences in circuit topologies.

So I never tried to optimize the cap size in a parafeed circuit. Can't comment on that.

When thinking about how to get rid of that last cap, I came up with two ways to substitute it. Replace it with a resistor or with another tube. The solution with a resistor burns a lot of power. The circuit with the second tube happens to be a differential scheme.

I always note biggest improvements when geting rid of a cap. The differential circuit brings an additional benefit by the large immunity to effects form the power supply. I can add some kiloohms of resistance in series to the power supply connection of the diff phono without noticing any degradation.

I like my current single ended EC8020 phono the best. It's as simple as it can get, just the tube and transformer in the ouput loop.

Best regards

Thomas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.