Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

How embarrassing

"What the heck are you buying?"

For my thickness quote, I'd measured a scrap that I thought was the cut-out from the power transformer. Just now, I dug in the scrap box and found evidence that it was possible that I'd measured the wrong scrap of aluminum.

Well, I just pulled the actual Cornet off the shelf...

Good lord, this is embarrassing. It is 1/16-inch, which is why they're telling you it's .065 inch. Man-O-man am I sorry.

Here's the good news, though. It is tough stuff and it absolutely outclasses any of the Bud or Hammond boxes that I've tried.

I see, now, how I confused myself. In order to banish even the thought of having to order something from Hammond again, I've been experimenting (duh!) with all sorts of readily available products. The chunk I measured, then swore to you was 1/8" thick, was a piece of a commerical COOKIE SHEET.

Yes, it appears that I'm a serial bakeware mutilator.

I sincerely apologize.

Here's what I think you should do, though. Indeed, Magic Line is the ticket. Go ahead and order one. I know you're a penny pincher but so am I. I can't bear to order a nice chassis for $75 and that's how I ended up with these things. I arrived at the cake pans via commercial aluminum bakeware that I'd scored in thrift stores for cheap. (same place I got my other experimental materials) These turned out to be so ideal that I went ahead and bought a new one (horrors!). See, by the time a bakery or restaurant tosses them to the thrift, they are--how shall we say?--less than presentable.

Sorry again. Although you may feel misled, I assure the mistake is insignificant. Like I posted earlier, I must have 12-15 pounds of iron on that thing, as well as four octal holes and their surrounding vent holes. Still stiff as a board. The corner welds, while not perfect, posed no problem that I couldn't easily remedy with hand tools.

I do agree about the finish, though. I'd liked to have polished the raw aluminum, sealed it with clear coat. You know what they say, though. Fast, cheap, and good; pick two.

Happy soldering!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • How embarrassing - slowburn 11:31:10 03/13/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.