Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Here's what I found...

Here's another link to what I believe are the same pans.

I used a 13x9x2 for the Cornet. And by the way, while I'd like to take credit for the octal version, I'm afraid I can't. Mr. H posted the schematic on the Hagerman Discussion Board. It's all his circuit. The only thing I changed was the chokes. I plan to remove the second choke, too, as it didn't drop the noise floor. I'll cover up the gaping hole with another plate--in which, I'm putting a stand-by switch.

Speaking of which. Wha'd'ya think's the best way to implement a stand-by switch? I think I'm going to put a SPST on/off toggle on the power trans' center tap. I'm terrible with the simplest electrical logic but it seems that simply lifting the ground on the HV winding will kill the supply to the tube plates. Make sense?

I understand your concern about the flimsy thing. I just measured the Cornet's flange thickness and it's 1/8". That's .125 inch and I think it's plenty stiff.

The iron on my example is an NOS Stancor, electrostatically shielded, 300/0/300 @ 120mA, 6.3 CT @ 5A, 5V @ 3A, so it's plenty heavy. Both chokes are old iron, 15 and 10 Henrys.

The power trans is horizontal orientation so it require a big, rectangular cut out for one half of the winding to drop below the chassis deck.

Altogether, a lot of aluminum cut away in a small area and it's still strong, pretty stiff. Lord knows I've plugged it in, unplugged it, carried it to-and-fro for a hundred tests and mods. Every time I lug it I feel it not flex, think of that Hammond I'm glad I sent back. (and which I'm eternally thankful that partsconnexion's vicki agreed to take back!)

My guess is that if you put a power trans and a couple OPTs on a bigger pan, it'd hold tough. If you thought it wasn't quite up to snuff for a guitar amp that'll get knocked about, you could always slap another chunk of 1/8" aluminum under the trannies. Quarter-inch of aluminum would be strong as hell and pretty light, too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Here's what I found... - slowburn 17:37:21 03/12/07 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.