Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Karna vs Amity

I realize this post is going to cause a lot of folks to think poorly of me, however.

Having built all of the magnetics in Lynn's Karna amp, I can attest to their complexity and level of performance. I doubt that anything short of the massive HV SE amps can compete with the Karna in detail, musical expression, micro and macro dynamics and size. The latest version is now using Gary Pimm's SS CCS and separate B+ transformers for 2A3 and 300 B B+ stages. Lynn has also switched his input splitter to Tribute's excellent toroid. If you email me I will provide you with the schematic of this latest version. If you are seriously considering making these amps you must contact Gary Pimm and discuss the unusual ground plane solutions required and I can provide you with his email address.

Lynn's Amity amps, as have been built by Gary Dahl and many others, are somewhat easier but without the 35 watts of clean audio power the Karna provides. more in line with the 20 watts suggested by other posts. They are extremely musical and are well suited to the same level of efficiency you are dealing with.

If you are ready for a challenge there are two other brave souls currently on planet who are either building or planning to build the Karna's, so there will be some folks to discuss solutions with, in addition to Lynn, as he heals his broken leg, Gary Pimm and myself.

Bud

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.