Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Sound

They were also a design by Lynn Olsen,

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Ariel.html

They are a reasonably easy load for any amplifier, especially when you take the bass out. I believe the specs are somewhere around 89-91 dB. They are really designed for tube amps, as Lynn attests to.

I have selected the ME2's due to my room size: 11' x 9' x 80"H. I may move them someday into a larger room, but that's what I have to deal with for now. I plan on crossing over with passive 80Hz 6dB point at the input to the amp, and use a powered subwoofer.

As I listen to anything from classical to oldies to modern, I have read an almost universal recommendation that PP would be the best choice. I really enjoy good midbass (100-300Hz). Currently run a triode strapped EL34.

I am sure I will get resounding disagreement, but I am of the philosophy that a good amp should be relatively immune to load. Yes, I understand matching damping factor to a speaker's mechanics is important, but I don't plan on building a new amp everytime I try out a new set of speakers. DHT's have good plate Z, and PP should be able to drive what I give them.

I guess my point in more watts is that I don't want to pursue the 3W SE path (at least until I hear a system that blows my mind - anyone near Milwaukee, WI?)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.