Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Being one of those 'hard nosed' non belivers ...

The problem is that the supply in your sim is not well tuned (sorry, Henry.) My guess is that rdf's transformer and first choke have DCR different from the ones you used.

For a given T1 and L1 (DCR included) you will find that there is a specific value of C1 that not only maximizes the output voltage, but also maximizes the supply stiffness (i.e. minimizes the step in voltage when the current is stepped.) Try playing around with the value of C1 in your sim. When you find that value I'll bet that the change in output voltage when the current is stepped will be smaller than 8V.

FWIW, according to the simulations, a second stage of low L low C filtering can improve stiffness further, though the optimum value of C2 is not the same as C1 even if L1 and L2 are identical. Around 3x in the cases that I've played with. I haven't seen much of an improvement with a third stage, but it could be I haven't found the sweet spot.

In any event, I'm talking about simulations. Finding the right tuning (sorry, Henry) in a real circuit might be a real challenge. rdf reported measured results. He wins. :)

-- Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Being one of those 'hard nosed' non belivers ... - Dave Cigna 15:26:12 03/10/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.