Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Man, I gots my lowmu approved PS parts, now must rectify

Hi Bobbij,

Lowmu here. I had the same problem of no center tap on Greg's 245 amp's Signal DU 1/2 PT. We also eliminated his existing TV damper diode bridge and employed a Graetz ( sp. ) bridge, two 1000 PIV diodes to get the negative, or ground, and simply let the 5U4GB do the B+. That works well enough, sounded fine, used two uF 4007s. To make use of the 6 VAC winding, you could add some power Rs of equal but low ohmic value, into each leg of the winding, to drop it down to 5 VAC under load. Loaf the dissipation - rating on the Rs please.

Now a days, I am not even using the C-47U anymore, as I have gone to a Zen - simpler two-stage filter system with a pair of Triad C-40X Ls ( 10 ohms DCR, 0.32 Hy, 600 mA., $10.79 at Allied ) for L1 & L2, and some 40 uF ASC Percy oils for C1 & C2.

If its only a low draw stage you are powering, consider use of a bleeder R at the output of the filter, B+ to ground, using Mills MRA-12s.

Just see my most recent posts from this week on this page, below. Let us KNOW what you hear, measure and fully document your key voltages before and after - and get them right please !!

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.