Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Chassis Sources?

I agree with you about Hammond chassis. Very nearly trash. Forget about that crap.

Alright. I'm gonna let you in on my little secret.

First of all, these are blank. No pre-drilled IEC (is this French for "pain in the ass?"), no banks of neat little RCA jack holes. You're gonna need some layout savvy and a step bit (Greenlee models can be had on ebay for $20-30) or a chassis punch. You don't wanna drill yer own chassis, stop reading now.

The link below takes you to a commercial aluminum cake pan. Turn it upside down and you have a blank chassis.

They're cheap, they machine easily, and their corners are 90 degrees and WELDED. They're an eighth-inch thick, strong enough that you can stand on 'me and they'll giggle. You can cut huge hole out of them to mount horizontally-oriented transformers and they don't lose their strength.

Like the Bud or Hammond stuff, give these a quick rub with emory paper, wash with dish soap, dry, and they're a breeze to paint. (after you finish drilling!)

They come in all sorts of sizes, square and rectangular, 1, 2, 3, & 4 inches deep. In other words, they come in power supply box size, stereo power amp size, preamp size, phono stage size, etc. They even make ones that are like the old-school monobloc amps; 4-6 inches wide, similar depth, and 16, 18, 20 inches long.

You can find other sources online (sorry, I forget the manufacturer). I list this one because I can just drive over, pick out the size I want, pony up my $20, take it home.

Do me a friggin favor, though, will ya? Do not contact the manufacturer and tell them that they're missing a great opportunity to shake down a bunch of geeky shut-ins with nothing better to do than butcher their generic cake pans. Price starts climbing, I'll hunt you down like a rabid dog.

; )

But seriously. They're perfect. Even got the little old-school flange around the edge. Perfect for stick on rubber feet just like an old Fisher. Or use it to attach a bottom cover. Don't like the flange, you can cut it off.

Happy soldering!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.