Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Many dont deserve the equipment they have.

Case in point..I had gone up to a town called Munger in Michigan about 30 miles from me and this radiologist has a pair of Martin Logan prodigys and a pair of Rogue m-120 mono blocks and a pair of cary 805s and pair of krells and a butterworth tube crossover and a Juicy music peach preamp and the ML descent sub.
He calls me up and says Mikey my system just doesnt sound right.I get over there and we set the cary 805s up for 200cps on up for the panels and the bass krell amps are 200cps on down at 18db/oct with the descent carying the sub low low bass region.
Mind you he had it set up at 450 thru the panels and the bass setup at 6db at 400cps.
He turns it on and it sounded better than it did but it was so lifeless and lacked pizazz and oomph and I said let me check your hookup from your cd player..I looked on his shelf and he was using a 29 dollar Teknika cd player with the factory cables that came with it.
I just about came unglued and said are you kidding me!!!. He honestly felt when you have the good equipment that he has you dont need a great cd player.I had gone home and got my old denon 2560 and I let him use that with the kimber cables and he about had a heart attack when he heard the difference.
He is the 4th person I had met in the last 5 months with those bull shit 29 dollar players on reference systems.Is this an epidemic or what?I had to explain to ray in a humorous way that you bought your cd player at store where one isle they are selling electronics and 3 isles over they are selling kotex..I asked him what he was thinking.
It makes me wonder now how many people are faulting their amps and preamps or speakers when maybe at times its the source when they have sonic issues.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Many dont deserve the equipment they have. - Michael Samra 18:32:11 03/09/07 (14)

You can not post to an archived thread.