Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: I worship the DHT electric

Hi ,
To choose a driver , first you need to know the requirements of the output stage and if you're going to use an active linestage . Then you can work backwards to find suitable driver candidates . With DHT's you don't have a lot of choice , typical DHT driver valves have mu=3-6 Ra 2-5K , mu=8-12 / Ra 6-8k . There are also valves which have mu=30 but much higher Ra and a few unusual thoriated types such as 15E and 3C24 which have mu=20 Ra 15k . Try to avoid multi stage amps using battery valves , these have sub 200mA filaments and can be lead to microphony . Also on the same note ensure that there is not a hideous excess of gain as microphony on a two stage driver DHT amp can be a real problem . For your driver you will probably need to use DC , I would recommend LCL filaments , which is the bulkiest but IMO best sounding . Alternatively the Ronan reg style setups are ok (I think Andy uses these) , with valves with sub 250mA filaments a DN2540 depletion mosfet makes a good current source for filament heating . Other recommendations : use rubber isolation bushes to suspend the valves under the chassis , also make the chassis heavy and damp/brace extensively as a top-plate that rings also makes the valves ring . Once you go with DHT's , nail the quirks and enjoy the music , there's no turning back ;)

cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.