Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Amp suggestions for active crossover?

Hi! I just switched to an active crossover and the sound in my system has already improved immensely. However, I'm just using the amps I have on hand, which are a Marantz 2250 (solid state) integrated and either a Scott 299 (EL84) integrated and a Sonic Impact T-Amp. LF drivers are from a JBL 4312, while from 800Hz on up I'm using Altec 811B horns.

I'm very happy with the sound already. It's much more dynamic and involving, especially using the T-Amp with the horns. But although the T-Amp is generally quite pleasant, it really seems to lack weight. When I put the Scott into the chain, the sound is warmer and weightier but less detailed. That's only to be expected, I suppose, given that it's an integrated with a long signal path.

So... what I'm thinking is that I would like to build a nice SET amp for the horns. Obviously power is not a concern, but I would like to keep costs down where possible.

I'm leaning towards a 45 at the moment since midrange and HF are the main priorities. I'm looking for magic midrange, sparkling highs and sound that fills the room effortlessly. That's not too much ask, is it?

Cheers,
Sparky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Amp suggestions for active crossover? - Sparky 20:32:27 03/08/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.