Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Geeze dude, I like the way you...

You have not followed this from the beginning. In the beginning I agreed with Jeff that low DCR in a power supply is a good thing. (I still think that) The voltage drop when the current demand goes up will be less so the voltage regulation of the supply will be improved.

Jeff said no "it's not about voltage regulation" He has also claimed that the improvement does not depend on the amount of current draw change. He stated that the full improvement would still be heard even under conditions of constant current draw.

Jeff also claimed to hear the full improvement even when the basic power supply is followed by two series regulators.

"Some would think you are heavily left-brain dominated dude more interested in 'winning' some trivial debate than, well, being a more open and balanced kind of chappie."

I don't see this as trivial. Some people come to the AA looking for instruction as to how audio electronics work. But instead they read that low DCR in a power supply will make their amp sound better even if the circuit is drawing constant current. They read that a proper sized input choke is a bad thing and are lead to build supplies with high current spikes that do cause audible problems. One reason choke input power supplies are better is the lack of high current spikes that cause noise. If the henry value of the choke is to small (as in Jeff's designs) the supply will act just like a cap input supply, high current spikes and all.

There may be something to what Jeff and Dennis are saying but they should get it straight before preaching it as gospel.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Geeze dude, I like the way you... - Tre' 16:26:59 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.