Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Driving vs Driven - dependent on point of view

Hi Jeff,

I've never disputed the validity of the "Low DCR" approach, within reason, and I suspect that also applies to many other people here. However, Dennis's new proposition of a division between "active" and "passive" devices seems to me to be somewhat arbitrary. In addition, the rationale behind the proposition that DCR matters far less with what Dennis labels "active" devices than it does with "passive" devices is not at all apparent to me.

It could be argued that everything is driven by the power tranny primary winding. Then everything in the PS is a passive device. The alternating current in the primary causes an alternating magnetic field in the transformer core, which in turn is passed on as an alternating current in the secondary winding. Downstream of that are the rectifiers and smoothing circuit.

I don't see how any of these things - the transformer core, secondary winding, rectifiers and smoothing circuit - can be considered "active". They get what they are given and the difference between what they pass on and what they absorb/waste/lose is governed by their efficiency. Magnetic inefficiency and DC resistance are unavoidable and unwanted burden, limiting performance and contributing to loss.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Driving vs Driven - dependent on point of view - Ray Moth 00:28:03 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.