Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: cathode stripping

The Analog Engineering 208 is better than the Oracle and perhaps more interesting, it may be better than Mike's own The Turntable design. Very punchy and lively, and really tight on the bottom. This combo has been the first that has ever really satisfied me for vinyl listening, and I'm old and gray and been doing this since my first TD124 at the age of sixteen.

The EF86 DC preamp is interesting. We tried the design years ago as a candidate for the Seduction design, with a very simple CRC PS. It didn't cut the mustard (too flabby) and the prototype sat gathering dust. A while ago I found out that the proto had been converted to gaseous shunt regulation by Ed Fallon and when I heard it again it showed promise. So PJ further evolved the design with dual mono actively loaded hybrid shunt regs and some other stuff and I made a tape repro amp with the circuit. It turned out to be a really good tape repro amp, and so the next iteration will be an RIAA amp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: cathode stripping - Doc B. 12:31:08 03/07/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.