Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Bogen AP 30 integrated - phono stage sounds thin

The reason I dove right into using this amp is that it was given to me as a working amp e.g. it was already in regular use.

It sounds great through the other channels and since the tubes appear to be original to the amp (Bogen branded) I figured it couldn't hurt to put in known good tubes to make sure they weren't the issue.

I have other vintage tube gear that works great just as it is. You assume I just plug things in and fire them up... in fact, with unknown or obviously un-used, dusty gear, I gradually bring it up to power on my variac over the course of several hours.

I understand but don't completely agree with the philosophy of immediately tearing it all apart and going through and replacing every out-of-spec part. If the rest of the amp sounds great as-is then why would I change everything? If it's just some bad caps in the phono stage then why not start there?

I'm sure I'm not the only electronics hobbiest who feels this way. I already have plenty of half-finished amps I can't listen to.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Bogen AP 30 integrated - phono stage sounds thin - newbie 07:31:08 03/07/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.