Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: First SE EL34 "triode" project: Help me understand dissipation?

Yes, the Angela amp runs the tube very conservatively at 11 watts. The tube has a maximum of 25 watts.

The Duncan Data Sheet Locator below indicates that you could run as much as 70mA current using a 370 to 400 ohm cathode resistor and 375 volts. This would give you 24.5 watts (less the screen grid current). This is probably a bit high. If you must alter the design, try for between 50 and 60mA and you will be ok. On the other hand, you are not going to sacrifice that much power using the parameters given in the Angela schematic and it probably gives you what the designer thought was the best balance.

Nubie Rule #1: If you do not know any better, don't mess with another man's design. He is smarter than you are, typically, on the finer points of the particular design.

My advise to you is to build it excactly as drawn, then try your "improvements" later. The guy who designed this circuit was well aware of the tubes parameters and could run them anywhere he wanted. He chose these as best.

That being said, the 400 volts is fine and I would not see a need to reduce it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: First SE EL34 "triode" project: Help me understand dissipation? - Chris O 10:45:23 03/06/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.