Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Jeff, would you respond to this?

Hi Russ,

Sure I'll respond.

(1) Jeff Medwin IS NOT anymore just LOW DCR only !! Yes I started with low DCR, but midway last year I reported on Low C and Low HY too, with my friend's wrtings, posted under my moniker. Now, ( several weeks ago ) I was able to TRY all three together on Greg's 245 SEer, and I NOW have HEARD that my friend Dennis is correct, all three are sorely needed if ya wanna get an amp to truly boggie big time !!

(2) Look at the construction of a Damper diode versus a 5U4. The damper diode has a nice SLOW ramp up, due to its cathode, and it also has lowZ. But wait, the lowly 5U4 has NO cathode, its a filamentary rectifier, meaning it can do INSTANTANEOUS music events better than any cathode diode. Gee, don't some of us swear by filamentary triodes sounding better.... how about filamentary diodes over cathode diodes Russ??? No one ever mentions this up here.

When you get into Low DCR, Low HY, Low C power supplies, which have less storage time than everyone's conventional archaic supplies, the instantaneous respose of filamentary diodes become more of a factor, and is more easily appreciated. Conventional supplies, by comparison, do NOT serve the music, because they get it severly "out of time" and certainly "off-kilter", due to their slugishness, etc. from too high a DCR, HY and C in the design.

So Russ, buy two Triad C-40Xs from Allied Electronics, under 11 dollars each, and two 40 uF ASC oils from Mike Percy, under 13 dollars each, and LISTEN to that on your output stage. Assume VDC = 1.35 times VAC of your PT trannie, minus tube rectifier drop.

Want a lower impedance filamentary diode, how about a 5V3? For long term health and safety, avoid mercury vapor filamentaries of any type in your home.

Hope my response makes sense to you, Russ. Buy those parts I described, and keep final voltages similar !!

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.