Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Let me ask your opinion

Actually, it can work for you. A lower value cap not only increases the frequency of resonance but also the peak amplitude. In doing so the LF rolloff is also much steeper so with some experimentation I think this will work very well for you. Although in itself its not one of my "tricks" I have found it extremely useful in boosting Low frequency response without muddying the mids (I suppose it could be termed a trick after all).
Fundamentally what I've been advocating is the use of one or more (good) subs with a very steep HF rolloff to keep them right away from the mids. Sometimes it even pays to set the Xover point to a very low frequency, like 40-50 Hz if the slope isn’t steep enough. I can understand people's distain for subs if this is not done, but done right you would never live without them. I think a grid choke can be very beneficial here.

In my system I take the signal from the OP of my Phono/Pre direct to my SE845 amps to run the Midbass/ESL combo with a full range signal. The OP of the Phono/Pre is paralleled off to drive the SS Active Crossover (which has a very high input impedance) and the Crossover is only used to drive the SS sub amps. The Mid/HF output is ignored. I can't remember if the Crossover has an 18db or 24db / Octave slope but in any case I use a Xover frequency of 60Hz and still find myself further boosting 30Hz by 4db and cutting 50Hz by the same to effectively achieve a higher slope. If it had a 50Hz Xover option or a steeper slope I’d use it.

There are some interesting things that happen when done this way and I've seen you write about one of them. The added bass actually seems to improve the HF response and definition. It also adds weight to vocals and other instruments even though there is minimal effect on their expected fundamental frequency range. Tonally it is far more pleasing and natural sounding. In fact I strongly suspect that tonal balance has far more to do with achieving a harmonious (and real) sound than distortion (within reason of course).

IMHO there is a whole octave of music missing without the use of subs or speakers that will work effectively down to 20-30Hz … even with Vinyl! Exaggeration, but you get what I mean.

Cheers,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Let me ask your opinion - Naz 18:55:05 03/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.