Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Absorbing Modulations, AND the Music !!

"The big final reservoir cap absorbs the modulation all right, and it also absorbs the MUSIC SIGNAL". To my understanding, the modulations ARE the music signal. They're meant to be absorbed, otherwise you have inadequate decoupling. Where the "hot" end of the OPT primary goes to B+ it should be the same as ground, so far as the signal is concerned. If it isn't, we have a problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "low C". Fifty or more years ago, 16uF caps were commonly found doing service as reservoir caps. Now, that's what I call outdated! Fortunately for us, it's now much easier than it was then to make big caps with high working voltages, so we are free to make our choice based on our needs, like the 40uF-50uF caps to which you refer.

'Same absorption applies to high value ( over 1/2 HY ) and high DCR ( over 10 ohms ) chokes ( loses the music )' I don't know where you get this from. As I explained, a good reservoir cap stops the signal dead. Whatever comes between the wall socket and the reservoir cap (be it the usual power tranny, rectifiers, smoothing cap(s) and choke(s) or a bank of car batteries) should make no difference to the signal.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Absorbing Modulations, AND the Music !! - Ray Moth 18:44:15 03/04/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.