Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Single 45 Amp question and pics

I did not say it before, but your amp is beautiful. I love the glass idea in particular.

For a 225-0-225 transformer, full wave CT into 5V4G, in a CLC arrangement with 10uF as C1, 280v is what you would get (I would have guessed lower). With that transformer, you cannot optimize the circuit for 2A3 because a 65 mA transformer is only enough for one 2A3 at normal operating points (IMHO).

In my view, you could drop 2A3s in and see what the sound like, with no risk. They will only be running at half power (given the 750 ohm shared cathode resistor and ~235 plate to cathode voltage).

I would add that I agree with the concept in DIY amps of using the gain from the preamp to help solve driver voltage issues. Commercial stuff may need to get to full power from a 1v peak source, but my stuff can have 3v in if I say so.

One other thing re the schematic. I would include a bleeder resistor to discharge the power supply caps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Single 45 Amp question and pics - Perseo 11:13:33 03/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.