Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

all these irrelevant stirrup

Jack, the intent of your posts isn't as clear as it could be. In the case of this ying-yang DC blocking cap I can't tell if you are:

1) Asking if you think it is a good way to reduce a blocking caps inherent distortion

2) Are trying to tell us we are doing blocking caps wrong (or at least spending too much on them) and John Curl has proven it

3) Trying to prove us wrong when we stated before that such a connection would go bang if it saw DC voltage

4) I could go on

So if you took a little more time and used a few more words and made it clear just what answers you were looking for you would get relevant answers. Some of your posts you try to "lead" and people don't want to guess.

You have heard my thoughts, namely that if I needed DC protection than I want it to be functional. If it was needed, say a DC coupled solid state amp, it could be okay to replace with wire. An example might be if the preamp had an output transformer and was thereby incapable of passing DC. Another is if it if the preamp output is cap coupled and you can insure the preamp goes on first and off last.

If instead the real question is the best cheap way to have a huge output coupling cap, in something like a CD player or active crossover, where room is a problem and uF must be that large.....well then I would tell you today's cap performance is so much better that I'd bet the extra cap with its extra lead length and physical size might make matter worse and isn't likely to make matters better. In other words go get a bi-polar black gate and be done. They are only a few bucks in those sizes/voltages and are way better than ying yang tantalum. Don't take my word ask John Curl what he would use now.

You also seemed to miss or discount the important work in the paper. But maybe you felt the little devoted to caps was the only thing of importance?

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.