Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Not so fast....

Dear Tre,

I am learning to trust Jeff's ears.

As controversial as his ideas (or from Dennis) sometimes might be on first sight, closer examination every time showed me a way towards the goals I want to achieve. For me, this has been true for the low DCR argument and the layout argument, so I’m open for the lower op-points argument. Further, as Jeff posted, not only his ears came to the conclusion that the lower op-points gave better subjective results, others ears concurred.

You might think about 'distortion' as an absolute figure or percentage where smaller is better, but given the fact that 'everything' in the audio chain distorts (source, amp, speakers, room, your ears, probably your brain too), it might help to look at 'distortion' as part of the total equation. Further, lower op-points, might help in other areas in such a way that 'on balance' you're better of with running your tubes less hard than the current ‘best-practice’.

As mentioned in a recent thread, the increase or deliberate creation of certain distortions (harmonics) in certain stages can help in the cancellation of distortions (harmonics) in other stages, or in the creation of a (more) ideal harmonic structure. So instead of starting an endless fight to avoid distortions (which you will never win), one might start to think about managing (controlling) distortions in such a way that at the end one gets closer to his goals.

There is quite an analogy about this and discussions about the cancellation of resonances or speaker cone break-up. Since resonances and break-up are unavoidable (like distortion) the ‘more intelligent’ approach proved to be the management (control) of resonances and speaker cone break-up. So the whole subject is rather more 'sophisticated' than your statement about distortion percentages in a tube output stage.

So yes, I find the insights of Jeff very useful. Again, his subjective experiences (verified with others) gave me the ‘inspiration’ not to take things for granted. And again, his subjective experiences say nothing about the ‘science’ behind it, nor does Jeff make any claims in that direction. IMHO the subjective experience is the first step towards science, but it is the experience itself that is important. (For me that is, since I’m more interested in the art than the science YMMV).

I just had to say that.

Respectfully,
NC

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.