Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Thanks

You make many good points and ask many important questions. I appreciate the concern and wisdom evident in your words.

Let me give the condensed version. It will still be too long.

After hearing these speakers (Scott's) we (Steve, Rick and I) felt like what we had were lame toys. They sounded pretty but they had no balls. Yes we heard bass but we didn't feel and experience it like we now knew was possible. In some ways and with some music we liked the sound of what we had better. But the grandeur of what we experienced could not be denied nor discounted. We were ruined you see. Worse yet, the change to a tri amped system and the requirement for bass wattage meant a solid state amp and an active crossover.

So suddenly I found myself in foreign waters and many variables to balance. It has been daunting and I have done my best to make informed decisions. Some, like the choice to use a pro audio active crossover are temporary and born out of needs at hand.

There is a very strong possibility I am about to embark on the circular marathon path. I hear plenty telling me to go passive crossover or at worse, use identical amps and line level passive. I hear the words but I am swayed but what seems to be a technically superior approach. Certainly it is the proven path for any "serious" approach to sound reproduction in areas (outside the home) where cost is not the primary factor.

If a CD player can be a worthy source is it really inconceivable to think that it is possible to "process" the signal and spit out the right hertz all time and phase corrected.... and then be able to pick good drivers with flat impedances within the pass band.....and then for the first time to really have that load line nailed....and accomplish all of this with no degradation of sound and overall superior operating parameters?

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.