Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

It's always good to hear other systems ...

no matter how good, how cheap or expensive. You always learn something about the sound of your own system. I listened to a friend of a friend's system once and although it was really modest including his SS amps, there was one element of his system that sounded better than my all tube, full blown system. The good thing about it was that suddenly I knew what I was chasing and now it's no contest.

Another time I'd gone round in circles and just plain lost my way. My sound was crap and I just couldn't seem to fix it. Again I listened to other systems and it helped reinforce the strengths and weaknesses of my own. I had direction again and it was easy to improve the sound. Yet another time I was in the US and visited a major audio show. Although not much impressed me there was one surprise or two and when I got home I immediately chased the missing element … wasn’t too hard to do.

If I've learned anything it's that subtle tonal differences can make or break a system. For instance it seemed almost impossible to get great bass without muddying the sound, and accentuating the highs certainly wouldn’t fix it. But I found a way and the great thing about tubes is that it's so easy to tweak the balance.

Russ, I'd be interested to know what your overall perceptions of your system's sound were at the time of your discovery between SS and tubes. How did the sonic weighting change from what it was previously? Is it now stronger in the mids, bass or midbass. Does it have the same HF response ... I mean air and extension?

My speakers came with a really fancy SS active crossover. Initially, everything was fed by this including the amps running the midbass arrays and ESLs. Then I figured that running my tube amps directly to the main speakers had to be better. It wasn't ... although more detailed, it was just too thin sounding particularly on vocals and it took a long time to fix. But fix it I did and it's now much easier to pick the difference in component parts. I think a similar thing is happening in your system.

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.