Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Resistors aren't all that critical here

For starters, determine the size and power rating you need. I like to run my resistors at no more that 20% of their wattage rating, to keep temperatures under control and limit the positive tempco most resistors exhibit. In critical places, I go for 10%. Heater supplies are not critical; you will be more subject to line voltage variations.

I would likely end up using a standard cheap wirewound; they are very sturdy and come readily in the sizes you are likely to require (somewhere in the <1 ohm range). Non-inductive is unnecessary; your source has lots of L anyway.

I would remind you of the importance and sonic benefit of elevating heaters where necessary. Don't underestimate this consideration. Jones spends a lot of time discussing heaters in the chapters where he actually steps you through building an amp, though I think there are some places prior where he discusses some other issues. Personally, I don't buy into his THINGY design; unneeded, IMO.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Resistors aren't all that critical here - KurtP 12:05:52 02/26/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.