Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

The RCA Datasheet is Wrong

Thanks to everyone who provided info on this. I got tired of guessing, so I built it. My circuit has a pair of 6L6GCs driven by a 6SN7 cathodyne splitter. Anode voltage is +360V, just like the datasheet. The screens are a little high at +340. At the datasheet's suggestion, I'm using a 250 ohm cathode resistor, bypassed and shared by both tubes. I measure just slightly more than +25V on the resistor, indicating 100 mA zero-signal plate current.

The OPT is from a Harman Kardon, and it originally matched a pair of EL84s. I measured the voltage ratio while delivering about 3 watts output into 8 ohms. Converted to Z, I calculate 9400 ohms plate-to-plate. Adjusting for resistive loss, I believe it is actually a 9K transformer.

At maximum output, peak grid-1-to-grid-1 voltage swing is approximately 40V, just as noted in the datasheet (and as I would expect based on grid bias). Output power is not the same, though. I measure approximately 14W max into 8 ohms, not the 24.5 claimed by RCA. This seems to agree with the Eico; I'm sure that if I were to increase plate voltage in my circuit to 440V, output would climb to a value closer to 20W. On the other side of the coin, I'm sure that if I used a 6.6K OPT, the circuit would deliver 25-26W.

I wonder if the RCA sheet was intended to say 14.5W, rather than 24.5W. In any event, it certainly appears to be wrong. Let that be a lesson to ya ...

This particular set of values (indicating 24.5W AB1 output with a 9K OPT) does not show up in any of my tube manuals, including a 1961 RCA. It only appears on certain Web sites. Does anyone know which year(s) the RCA manual listed these values?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.