Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I think you're on the right path

One could write an entire chapter on heater wiring (see Morgan Jones' books), but here's a few tips.

If all your heaters are wired in parallel, there will be very little effect the actual sequence will have on operation. Sure, there will be a little voltage drop across the 18 gauge wires, but I don't think 0.1 or 0.2 volts will kill you. Initially I would think you would wire the smallest current draw loads first, with the big loads last in the train. This would make the smallest loads have the least affect from the big ones. But then again, the real goal I would pursue is to use the least amount of wiring. This would probably not result in the desired sequence.

If you are that concerned about voltage drop, consider separate runs to each tube or set of tubes. Also, note that a 6.3V 8A winding is typically rated to output 6.3V at rated load. Being that you are only pulling 25% of this, your actual applied voltage will probably be greater, maybe 6.6V.

If you find this to be the case, consider a series resistor(s) to bring the voltage into spec. Some would insist on a resistor in each leg; if you have a grounded center tap, this might not be a bad idea.

Finally, if you have any elevated cathodes, an elevated heater voltage might be worthwhile. This would require another transformer winding.

Good luck

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.