Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Manufacturer's have a different priority than do us audiophiles.

Building a quality product would be nice but their main focus is getting it on the market quick and programmed obsolescence where they can sell you another NEW and IMPROVED one in 2 years. For instance, many components are designed for auto insertion robots. Resistors with leads that are leaded rather than solid copper where they can be picked up by magnets. A manufacturer is looking to assemble his/her/their product as cheaply as possible to make a profit. Even to the point of finding third world slave labor to do it. Many manufacturers are going to flat cables because it's neat, flexible and they don't have to have a custom wiring harness made from 20 different kinds of wire.

About the only cabling you have to really worry about is the signal carrying leads or stage to stage coupling. IMHO, I prefer solid, twisted pair, shielded like Belden 8450 or Alpha 2460C. I also like Kynar, solid, wire wrap wire
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.