Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Re: I did that too !!!

Thanks Jeff. I see your point, I prefer single chassis mono designs as well, yet sometimes it seems impossible, due either to size/weight or lack of two matching sets of components. I've been curious about the "controversy" regarding Low everything power supplies, and now am prepared to make one and see for myself. I have 4 chokes:

.33H/2.2 ohms
.30H/3 ohms (x2)
.5H/15 ohms

My plate transformer has 11 ohms DCR each side of CT, so 22 ohms total across the winding. It's the lowest I've got. It's 570VCT. I'm guessing that even though I'll use choke input, as you suggest, I will still end up with a "cap" input B+ value, or close? I was going to do:
.33H/4uf/.3H/8uf/.3H/16uf/.5H/30uf. I wanted to operate an SE 2A3, but I think I'll end up with a little too much B+, so I may have to use a 300B, which then forces me to use DC filaments. BTW, I'm guessing that
after the effort to create a low dcr supply, that self-bias is kind of contradictory, so does that mean you used fixed bias on your friends 245 amp? just curious. And what about the separate supply for the driver, which I assume needs a much lower ripple factor? Does it "pay" to make a similar supply here as well? Or? and why? thanks

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.