Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Cathode Bias capacitor voltage in Cary 572

Gent,

I would first like to convey my most gratuitous appreciation for your help. Over the years I have asked a few questions on this forum you gents have provide wonderful insight. Perhaps someday I’ll grow beyond my “consumer” status on this forum. For now, I remain a consumer and really would like some help.

I have a Cary 572 and would like to replace the 100uf 50v OEM cathode bias capacitor with a Black Gate. Unfortunately, this value Black Gate doesn’t seem to exist. However, there is a 100uf 6.3v Black Gate NX series capacitor. Will this be sufficient? Alternately, I could use a 100uf 16v Black Gate N series capacitor.

The potentially pertinent info is thus:

- I checked the voltage at idle and found 2.35 volts DC across this capacitor
- The amplifier has a tube rectifier and a separate switch for heater and B+ voltage during turn on. I use them appropriately.
- I don’t mind experimenting with the 6.3volt capacitor and creating some smoke, but I don’t want “cascading” damage in the amplifier if/when it blows.

What do you gents recommend?

Thanks,

Dave Ellis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Cathode Bias capacitor voltage in Cary 572 - David S. Ellis 11:40:28 02/22/07 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.