Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

If you have the Oris...

then I think you are ahead of the game already. You are in a situation where your amp(s) drive the speaker directly instead of a crossover. I have not inquired as to the price of the Oris but considering I can't even afford the AER drivers I think it is safe to say "if I have to ask I can't afford".

Now the dipole sound does have some strong points. But so does horn loading. IMHO the biggest difference is the dipole creates an illusion of a bigger soundstage. One that has all (or close to) the depth of a good horn but has some increase in width and height. To me a good horn has better clarity but I find I like the warmth of a non horn loaded paper mid. But I'd dang sure jump at the chance to throw a 150 or 250 hertz horn in the mix.

So considering where you are at I'd so no, the Orion isn't for you. But then I have not heard it. However I have heard the basszilla and think it would be closer to what you like and it is a dipole in the 100 to 10,000 hertz (I think) range. First time I heard a Lowther sound fantastic!

As you mention op amps aren't evil if you keep them below a certain range. For you that is 150 hertz. I'm not so lucky and for me it has to be 250 hertz (for now). I hope to soon give open baffle bass a try and see what that brings to the table. I have big hopes in that area.

I am sure the orion sounds nice. I think it is hard to judge such things outside one's home and in a few hours though. Before I would leap from Oris to Orion I'd want them in my home for a month.

Russ
P.S. I didn't mean to sound like parts/amps don't matter....just that they pale compared to going from a run of the mill decent speaker to a much better speaker. Also, have you ever measured in room response? If not it might be wortwhile. Our rooms are part of the audio chain...even if "she" doesn't agree:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • If you have the Oris... - Russ57 14:39:46 01/24/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.