Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Nagging question about op amps in active crossovers

There is a local guy here who built Orions and sought my help in improving the active crossovers. We used better (but hardly exotic) PP caps and improved the PS. He was very pleased with the improvement.

Interestingly, when I talked to Siegfried at CES about it, he was certain that component identity changes would make little or no difference in the sound of the Orion. These things hint at the effect the complex op-amp based active crossover has on sonic resolution and portrayal and Siegfried's perspective on design.

This local guy's system is totally unfamiliar to me in a context I understand. It sounds good, but in a sort of "hifi spectacular" way.

Two of the principals of Siegfried's former company, Audio Artistry live here, so I have heard all of the speakers from that era of his design efforts. They are all very good speakers when heard in a very good quality solid state system. They are even-handed in a way that higher efficiency or limited bandwidth speakers never seem to be, but they were never ultimately emotionally moving in the way that some more simply conceived speakers can be.

We all have different ear-brain assemblies, so we all perceive music differently. Each to his own...

Kevin Carter
K&K Audio
www.kandkaudio.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.