Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I have been going down this path, except not with dipole speakers

>>Going the bi-amp/tri-amp route with an active crossover and pro audio drivers is such an eye opening experience I am floored.
I used to waste time on amps/caps/tube rolling...etc. Now I think none of that matters much....at least in comparison. Really if you consider the typical parts and the quality of them in a speaker crossover it begins to make sense.<<

I drive my Oris 150 front loaded "full range driver" directly from my 45 SET amp. It has a little passive equalization in the amp before the output stage using quality parts in it and the amp goes from 150 Hz on up.

I drive the bass bins (bass reflex "Onken" cabinets) directly from a SS amp that rolls off at 150 Hz using op amps in this application (but this is not the "critical mids and highs").

This is also a system of "active" crossover/biamped drivers similar to what you have. It's great, but still...

I hear differences in caps and tubes and source quite easily and it also has excellent dimensionality. It does not sound better by adding in more components than absolutely necessary, like 3 op amp stages in a row.

So is the Orion a speaker for people who like SS sound? My brother heard the Audio Artistry Vivaldi's once and he said it sounded flat and excessively dry, like "desert dry". He blamed the SS electronics as the likely culprit. Are these Orion fans used to flat soundstages and think this dryness is cleanliness and never heard what transparent tube electronics offer? Just postulating, not criticising.

Again, I would have to make a real effort and expense just to hear for myself. I want to hear them, though. I have never heard a cone dipole speaker.

BTW, whatever happened to Audio Artistry? The amp requirements were too much - too many channels at that time?

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I have been going down this path, except not with dipole speakers - kurt s 12:49:12 01/24/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.