Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Thanks Lynn! (long)

Lynn- You should know that I have very little formal training in electronics (just what I picked up in the IBEW apprenticeship program). I'm trying to bootstrap myself to some limited understanding. It's been a long and slow process!:-) I know that the WEHE circuit nulls other odd ordered harmonics, I just assumed that what nulled 3rd, would probably null other odd orders as well. I could be wrong about that, you know what they say about that word assume.

I would like some guidance as to what equipment would be necessary to measure the results. I know a spectrum analyzer would be ideal, but can't afford one of those puppies. The test equipment I do have, and am just beginning to learn about: 60MHz scope, HP 333/A distortion analyzer, and a Heathkit IG-18 signal generator, plus various hand held meters.

I saw this WinAudioMLS software (I'll post link), and thought with a decent exterior sound card, that this might do what I want. It'd also be a cool tool for speaker measurement/crossover tweaks, as well as room measurement, which would be a nice plus. However, if I can measure odd order harmonic distortion with what I already have (I doubt it's accurate enough), I'd like to save the bucks. Also, I don't know if this software will do the trick, and don't know what kind of I/O devices it would take to interface an amp with the computer. I was hoping someone on this forum had experience with the software, but so far no luck.

I've been following your Amity-Aurora projects over the years, and really admire what you're doing, and especially your spirit to share this valuable information. It's inspired me to take on this project. I've been scheming on this design for over a year now, and have finally decided (after many changes) on this topology: input/phase splitter transformer > secondary to ladder stereo attenuator > 5687 Dif. preamp stage > IT > 801A Dif driver stage > IT > Medium voltage (~ 800V anode, ~ 95V cathode) 845 Dif. power stage. The (6) separate power supplies for each stage and channel will be more conventional (relative low DCR CLC) than yours. The regulated CCS power supplies are too difficult for me to implement, but I'm thinking CCSs on the cathodes would be interesting. Planning on 4 chassis, left signal, right signal, left power supply, right power supply. I have about 90% of the necessary parts, and will start bread boarding the preamp stage soon.

I'd like to explore the effects of the WEHE on all three stages, as I don't really know, and can't seem to find, what cap/resistor values would be optimal with these tubes. So why not take a bunch of caps, and a pot and find out? Thanks again for all your work, knowledge, and willingness to share.

twystd

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.