Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Don't try this at home. (way too long)

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

The power supply was a carry-over from the breadboard. I found that a B+ of about 400V sounded best however the transformer is a 370HX (550V ct @ 200mA) so I pushed it. My line runs around 126Vac which I ran on the 110V tap (NOT the 120V). With ss diodes and filtering (CLC) you get a B+ of 410V. The added benefit was now I could use the 5V (Now 6.2V @ no load) to run the front end 6SL7 and the other 6.3V (Now with resistors) to run the KT88/KT90.
For a breadboard that's fine. I'll run it that way for a couple of days, maybe a week or two. That was about a year and a half ago.

DON'T DO THIS!

I now have it apart again. This time I'm changing to 372JX (600V ct @ 250mA to get a proper 400V) and I want to play with the front end. First up will be a cascode amp with octals or maybe even try 76's. Next I'll try to get a LL1660/10mA IT to work. (I've had a pair for over a year.) Then I plan to select one design and turn it into a "real" amp.

Too many projects and too many things to try.

I will say that despite the abuse, the 370HX performed well. It really didn't run too hot and didn't hum/buzz. Lucky? Maybe. I have used the 200 series and will not use them for anything but breadboards. Way too much buzz.

Take care.

Pete.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Don't try this at home. (way too long) - PeterP 18:28:42 10/01/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.