Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: here's how you do it for ALL amps.

I believe you are measuring total losses not just output Z. The output transformer has insertion losses (copper and core) that maybe as much as Z out. Some folks say to use the same methode but at 10 ohm and 8 ohm loads this way some of the insertion losses are included. At each load your not going from no loss to full loss but some loss to some more loss. Not perfect but better.

I measure transformer insertion loss buy putting a high voltage (30 or more rms)on the input of the transformer and measure the output, loaded and unloaded with the input adjusted to be the same voltage with or without load. If the Zout of the generator is low 75 ohms or less the losses should be transformer only losses not Zout losses.

Subtract insertion loss from your methode to get Zout.

What maybe the best methode but I never tried or heard of anyone trying is to measure a fullrange speakers Qes with a solid state amp then the tube amp in question and determining the affects of Zout on Qes to get Zout.

Z out on tube amps is very confusing with a lot of complexity of impedance and phase it would be a good subject for a book with lots of different methodes tested. Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.