Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Nak CR-7A vs Newer Dolby S decks

Im not if people can go by the selling price. It depends on how rare the deck is for one. The CR-7 Nak sold last week on Ebay for $350. My Aiwa XK-S9000 I bought for $1300. Yet Naks are still the most regarded decks. I got a reply from another poster saying:

"There is a great risk in using specs to rate cassette decks. In theory newer decks with HX (good) and S (so-so) ought to spec better, and they do, but only within what is measured. When you just hook a deck up and listen to it, the results often counter theory. Classic Nakamichis from the 682ZX to the ZX-7 or 9, to the 1000ZXL all sound .... well, let's just say, better. You almost have to try one and experience it. Think of dolby as add-ons. The cassette has to be fundamentally right for the add-ons to produce any benefit. The classic Naks addressed bias and level alignments, azimuth errors, Maximum output level, and EQ (1000ZXL only) with a level of performance that rendered even dolby B unnecessary. HX is a nice circuit if your head saturates at high levels. Nakamichi heads did not, so they eschewed HX.

Newer nakamichis, the CR- DR- , cassette deck- and the cheaper line BX1 (not BX 300) all were designed to perform well, but not in the same class as the classic decks.

You may notice I omitted mention of the Dragon. This deck is regarded as the best PLAYBACK deck made, but the classic machines I list at the outset are prized by those who record.

When listening to Sonys, Akais, Teacs, or whatever, listen for a naturalness in the sound, especially the highs (try and hear that ferrite sound) and listen for deep bass. These are the easy clues that lead to the differences you are asking about."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.