Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

You obviously never heard a Sony Elcaset EL-7 deck

the specs on an Elcaset deck easily match/succeed 44/16 CD resolution, you're mistaken there. I recently bought one of these Elcaset EL-7 decks, and let me tell you, it puts my Pioneer SACD/DVD-A player to shame.

here's a scan of the owners' manual I got with the unit

http://i17.tinypic.com/2hsb0ao.jpg

HOW DOES THIS GRAB YOU ??

15 HZ TO 27,000 HZ with Type II tapes (FeCr) (NAB)
15 HZ TO 25,000 HZ with Type I tapes (standard FeO2) (NAB)

I don't know how they did it, but they DID it- this deck sounds as
good as/better than a reel to reel at 7.5 IPS- and the Elcaset does it with 3.75 IPS. It MUST be the FeCr tapes- and some really high-end circuits inside the unit.

Specs at +/- 3 dB rating are somewhat less, but still quite impressive
for 1/4" 4-track analog tape at 3.75 IPS, again NAB:

25 HZ TO 22,000 HZ TYPE II (FeCr)
25 HZ TO 20,000 HZ TYPE I (standard FeO2)

Basically CD quality or better, from 1/4" tape in a cartridge, at only 3.75 IPS. With the FeCr tapes, a better top end than a CD- from a home-made cartridge tape format.

The TASCAM 122 and 234 decks have 3.75 IPS speed and match the performance of 25hz-20khz of the Elcaset deck and do it with thinner track cassette tape, but by using METAL tape.

these are both obscure formats I'll admit, but until you've tried it, don't knock it- the issue with Elcaset is, tapes are somewhat scarce- but metal compact cassettes at 3.75 IPS are plentiful, and these TASCAM decks are cheap- mint one on Ebay are below $200, and many are below $100

it's an audio bargain- and retains that analog warmth and coloration

tape head gap has everything to do with it- small gaps give excellent bandwidth and resolution, even at 3.75 IPS- so it depends on the quality of the machine

I just dubbed 2 cassettes from vinyl to metal tape using an old BIC cassette deck at 3.75 IPS- it was like listening to the LP while monitoring it- almost zero degradation

how bad can 25hz-20khz resolution be ? seriously, think about what you're saying-

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.