Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Dunno about the Denons, but....

I have a Nak that does make stunningly good recordings. The thing is, you have to play it back on a Nak to get the full benefit because of the difference in the head gap widths that Naks have.

Of course, you're going to be tied to the same deck if you record at double-speed too, so it's a wash. I'd say the difference between a TASCAM or TEAC at double speed and a Nak at normal speed is minimal, in my experience.

The TEAC C-series don't have the headphone volume control. The TASCAM 122 does.

If you're looking for dubs that sound virtually identical to the original source and want compatibility, CDs are really the way to go in my opinion. The media's easier to get, cheaper, the sound is more accurate than what you can get from a cassette, and they don't wear out with progressive plays. Cheaper media can suffer from bit-rot, but it's not really an issue if you buy good media.

A Nak, other 3-head reference deck from Revox, Sony, Denon, etc. or one of the TEAC/TASCAM options above are about as good as a cassette option is probably going to get, though. Align your deck to a good quality tape type and stick with it for best results.

Cheers & good luck,
Bobbo :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.