Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

NO!!!!!!

Not that I'm one to usually pry into another mans spending habits, but good God...WHY would you want one of those?

For starters:

1. They only [supposedly] serviced the Rec/PB head(s). They completely ignore the capstan(s) and any other metal guides that might be present. (as an aside it is worth noting that the erase head generally does not need degaussing unless it is in a deck used for playback only. When the decks "record" curcuits are engaged, the erase head will degauss itself.).

2. In order for them to be used, the decks power had to be turned ON and "play" pressed. This is a big no-no. Any semi or total pro will tell you that the cardinal rule when demagging is for the decks power to be turned off. The huge surge that the heads, deck, and possibly the rest of your system can get from a power-on degaussing can really cause a lot of damage. Including your very own ears if you are careless.

3. I have seen no evidence to support the claims that those devices help at all and plenty to suggest that they can cause more harm than you bargained for.

You really should reconsider this decision and hunt down a wand unit.

But if you are still intent on an enclosed unit, you might be able to find some at Radio Shack, an out of the way small hi-fi or second hand electronics shop, Ebay, or a Thrift Shop. I doubt that any mainstream chain besides RS carries them anymore.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.