Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Sony TC-RX420

After many years of good service, my Teac A-100 lost the ability to rewind and fast forward, and the play button became loose. I checked out the price of new belts, and it would be about $20 US plus shipping. On top of this, the TEAC is not very good for making recordings with chrome bias tape, heading into early tape head saturation, and the Dolby NR system never works well. I decided it was time to look for a new deck.

Checking out all the used stores in town, I ended up at home with a near mint condition Sony TC-RX420. I have no idea when it was made, but I would guess early 1990s. It seems to have decent build quality, and is made in Japan. First impression is it sounds very nice, and the Dolby system is very accurate. It's the first deck I've owned which automatically senses tape type, which is nice. The auto reverse function is fairly loud, more reminiscent of a VCR than a cassette deck, and nearly made me jump the first time it changed direction.

Does anyone here have some basic specs on my new deck? I'd like to know the year of manufacturer, and some basic specs which describe what it is, etc. I haven't been able to find anything specific on the net, besides sites selling service manuals.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Sony TC-RX420 - maxhifi 10:04:38 02/19/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.