Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: What I do...

Thanks, Dave:

I well remember those Tandberg decks. In fact, downstairs I have a 64 tubed deck and another play only deck made around 1961. I think it is a model 6, perhaps, without any electronics at all. You were supposed to plug it into the TAPE HEAD inputs on a Marantz 7 for use. No problem with that aspect, since I still own a bunch of old Model 7 preamps and some McIntosh C-22s. I guess the only problem these days is trying to obtain any spare parts, since Tandberg is completely out of the audio business, though they make computer drives and some hi-def stuff for pro TV these days.

I do not go after pre-recorded tapes of any kind on eBay, for the simple reason that I fear the discovery that they might be in bad condition. I am basically interested in discovering how good some can sound, which has been the BIG surprise of late.

However, I am not about to invest big chunks of change in this technology. It is merely a curiosity with me and I do own lots of fine gear on which to play them back, including my very own Ampex 350-2, 354, ATR-700, Tandberg TD-20-A and two nice ReVox A-77s. I hardly ever use these decks, except the one ReVox A-77 Mark III, which appears to still be in reasonable callibration. I would hate to have to replace the heads one day, but I have done relapping at home, you know.

I am just lucky in stumbling upon these tapes, that is basically it!

BTW, I see no harm in putting little packets of dissicant in the boxes of your reels. You do know that you can reactivate those silica gell packs by reheating them, don't you?

Good luck and happy listening!

Keep the machine running and clean.

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.