Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

One Isn't Always Best

Having "one" tape manufacturer isn't necessarily a good thing. I mean with no competition, where is the incentive to maintain both competitive quality AND pricing? For those of us who insist upon new tape, the lack of choices means we pay whatever they feel like charging and hope that the quality controls are in place. Otherwise, we are forced to turn to the NOS market or abandon the hobby altogether. Now I'm not saying nor implying that RMGI is gouging us with inferior product. But what I am saying is who is the alternate supplier that's going to keep them in check to make sure they don't?

I myself would prefer to see either two or more makers around. It's kind of like commercial airplanes and Boeing versus Airbus. The goal of each is to put the other out of business. Each has to fight tooth and nail for every order. And as a result, both turn out very good quality products at competitive prices. Were one of them to go under, the survivor, having no real form of competition, can churn out whatever the hell it likes and charge whatever they want. And the airlines would have three choices: either put up and shut up, turn to the used airplane market (which will only last so long) or else go out of business as well. None of those 4 choices are really desirable.

So let's hope that RMGI either stays honest or else someone else comes along and sees to it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.