Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Revox A77 high speed - with speakers

1. Is it quarter-track or half-track? I'd be surprised if it's quarter-track and running at 15 ips.

The deck seems to have both quarter and half track options

2. I'll guess that your 3-3/4 ips tapes are quarter-track.

Yes, they are

3. Speakers: This was fairly common in the early versions of the A77 - let's say early 1970s - and made the A77 a truly portable high quality recording and playback deck. My musique concrete mentor had two of them. We could go anywhere to record and hear the tape.

It does have the headphone jack, but I wondered why they would have speakers - thinking that headphones would be better for monitoring. But you answered it - more than one person could enjoy the fruits of the recording session.

4. Headphone output: Doesn't it have a headphone jack?

See above

5. Obviously, you didn't buy it new. Why did you buy it?

I love analog, and I have always heard of the superiority of Reel to Reel playback over even good vinyl. I saw it very inexpensively on craigslist, and decided to dip my toes into these waters. It doesn't run well - maybe something in the motors. I want to fix it up and just learn more about the world of tape. Out of sheer ignorance, I bought used R2R tapes from eBay - and many of them turned out to be 3 3/4. You live and learn.

Thanks,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.