Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Home recording

If you can afford 15 ips half-track you can forget NR systems. You can get a good deck for somewhere around $1k or less, like an Otari MX5050 B2 or later series recapped, aligned, and relapped, or a Studer B67 for $3500-ish. Tape will run you around $75 a reel (1.5-mil 2500 feet). Take it up to a much higher level with better repro amps, like Dan Schmalle's Bottlehead or the hard-to-find Manley repro amps.

The performance difference between quarter-track consumer machines and studio machines is enormous. I found that good digital far outperformed quarter-track tape, and I'm not quite sure why you want to base a studio around quarter-track decks. (If you sold those decks, you would have more than enough to set up one really good half-track deck.)

Of course you know that much 456 had sticky-shed. If you are setting up a home studio, ATR Master Tape is a wonder, and the RMG/Emtec 911 is supposed to be good as well. If your transport says "Studer" on it, you can use ATR's 1-mil MDS-36 tape which packs 3,400 feet on a reel.

My recommendation is to skip noise reduction, go half-track, and stick with studio machines. They are almost always much easier to work on, and designed for tens of thousands of hours of use. Get a studio machine, get an MRL tape, learn to align it, send the head block to John French for a dose of his magic, and you're off to the races.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.