Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Deterioration of cassettes in storage?

Hello tape experts.

I have a large (several hundred) collection of cassette tapes that have just been sitting in dark crates at room temperature indoors for maybe nine years since my last deck died. Included are many concert soundboard tapes from before the era when the sound guys went directly to digital. Most are chrome or metal formulations, brands including TDK, Maxell, Memorex, Sony, JVC, and others.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new deck with USB output to convert them to digital, but I'm wondering after all that time in storage if most will even be playable. I know about print-through, and the probability of shrinkage/stretching causing pitch irregularities.

But what is the likelihood of the oxide coating crumbling off or sticking to the heads? Or sticking to the adjacent tape on the reel? I imagine it has to do with the adhesives used, so would some brands have this problem more than others? Would it be best to fast fwd/rewind each tape before playing it? Any other potential problems I should be aware of?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Deterioration of cassettes in storage? - Brian H P 16:09:01 07/25/17 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.