Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Teac Decks

I have plenty of TEACs - I am a big fan of both TEAC and TASCAM for home use. I have a couple of TEAC C-1's, one of which is just like a brand new deck, the other is about a 9.5 out of 10 - they are stunning performers, with 3 heads and 3 powerful motors. Belts can easily be bought for a few cents from Russell Industries/PAB Line, and it helps if you know the parts number as they offer belt search software. New pinch roller rubbers are $35 each (fitted to the shafts) from Terry Witt. I am selling a C-3RX right now and it is a phenomenal deck, with onboard calibration etc, but the C-1 is, IMHO the ultimate cassette icon. I have recently disposed of my Nakamichi Dragon - too fussy and dainty by far. Whilst I am a huge C-1 fan, I recognize that many people want to record/playback metal tapes, which the C-1 is not set up for, whilst the C-3RX is. Mainly I use Chrome tapes, so it's not an issue and the reproduction is so good that I just don't need the expense of Type IV tape. The C-1 gets 20Hz to 20kHz using Chrome! Fitting new belts is not for the starter in hifi maintenance, however. It involves a heck of a lot of disassembly to get anywhere near the flywheels and motor. The C-1 uses 2 belts, one driving the main (leading) capstan, the other connects both flywheels to drive the second (trailing) capstan in tandem. the C-1 has twin DC direct drive motors for FF/RW and is, thefeore, amazingly quick and quiet in that department. The C-3RX uses an idler arrangement for FF/RW, so that wheels and belts are involved. It is, as someone already mentioned, virtually identical to the TASCAM 122 but includes DBX as standard.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Teac Decks - stuthridge 15:11:45 03/07/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.